Sunday, August 16, 2015

Easy Peasy Veggie Soup

When you have a disability and hire aides, it's important to economize on the hours they spend preparing food so you can get the rest of your care in.  This recipe is designed to be easy, low cost and tasty.  It can be prepared on the stove top as well as in a crockpot.

Easy Peasy Veggie Soup

1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can Progresso Garden Vegetable Soup (or other vegetable soup)
2 1/2 cups water
1 large fresh tomato (or any other fresh veggies on hand)
Seasoning (I use red curry but up to you)

Place ingredients into crockpot.  Cook either on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.

I usually cook this on high so my aide can plate some and put in the refrigerator for me before the end of his/her shift.  There's plenty to freeze as well.

Variations

Sometimes I leave the seasoning out and add a different seasoning to each bowl for variety sake.

I also sometimes add cooked meat on hand to make a stew.  Some ideas are cooked chicken, ham, ground beef or ground turkey.  Usually I cook the soup without the meat, then add meat if it's available during the week.

Accessible eating tip:  Crackers are difficult for me to hold.  I add some oyster crackers to soup when it's served.  Or you can ask your aide to crumble up some saltines into your soup.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and helpful. Don't make us stew!